Assessment for Educators
This course is designed to equip educators with the knowledge and skills they need to carry out outcomes-based assessment in their school and classroom.
The course is based on the generic Unit Standard 115753: Conduct Outcomes Based Assessment (15 credits @ NQF level 5)
The course also includes aspects of:
- Assessment design, and therefore forms a foundation for the generic Unit Standard 115755: Design and Develop Outcomes Based Assessments
- Moderation, and therefore forms a foundation for the generic Unit Standard 115759: Moderate Outcomes Based Assessments
- Good education, training and development practices
Accreditation and Training services is accredited by the ETDP SETA.
The course is offered to practitioners at all levels and is contextualised in different modes for teachers in each of the GET Phases and FET, school managers, district managers, provincial managers, lecturers and managers in higher education institutions and ETD practitioners.
At the end of the course assessors will be able to:
- Demonstrate applied understanding of outcomes-based assessment practice
- Demonstrate understanding of how to carry out RPL assessment
- Plan and prepare for assessment
- Prepare learners for assessment
- Conduct assessment using a range of developmentally appropriate methods to assess learners’ progress
- Evaluate evidence and make assessment judgements
- Use assessment to promote learning
- Record assessment results
- Provide feedback to relevant parties
- Report learners’ progress appropriately
- Use assessment to maintain standards
- Review assessment
- Prepare for internal and external moderation
- Reflect on own practice
The course consists of:
- 24 hours of contact time in which participants will study the policies, principles, and practice of outcomes-based assessment in an interactive, experiential way.
- The development of a Portfolio of Evidence to demonstrate applied competence in their workplace.
At a venue of the client’s choice, the delivery can be structured according to the needs of the participants.
The course is divided into 5 units and the title and outcomes for each unit in the course for teachers are given below. Participants will demonstrate their ability in:
Unit 1: The Current context of Education and Training in South Africa
- Assess their knowledge of the current context of education and training in South Africa
- Trace the responsibility route for decision-making and implementation of Outcomes Based Education (OBE)
- Define the advantages of recognition of prior learning (RPL) through baseline assessment
Unit 2: Assessment in Education
- Analyse the changing teaching and learning process in Outcomes Based Education (OBE)
- Define the changing role of the teacher in Outcomes Based Education (OBE)
- Define different learning styles in a change to a learner-centred approach
- Categorise the different teaching methods to establish their appropriateness
- Analyse the continuous assessment (CASS) process/ implement the CAPS
- Use of assessment guidelines in developing assessments
- Apply a learning pathway to own practice
Unit 3: Planning and Conducting Assessment
- Plan for teaching, learning and assessment as a school, phase and grade
- Design outcomes based assessments
- Use a variety of appropriate assessment methodsUse a variety of appropriate assessment tools
Unit 4: Conducting Assessment
- Involve learners in assessments
- Assess learners with different levels of ability
- Use strategies to overcome barriers to learning
Unit 5: Provide feedback on assessment
- Analyse and interpret assessment results
- Provide constructive feedback that promotes learning and the learning process
Unit 6: Recording and Reporting Assessments
- Gather enough varied evidence so that valid, consistent and fair assessments can be made
- Summarise and record all the evidence for the purposes of making judgements, giving feedback, moderation and possible appeals
- Evaluate evidence for authenticity, validity and sufficiency against outcomes and assessment standards
- Base consistent and reliable assessment judgements on evidence from various sources and time periods
- Apply key principles of assessment in the use of assessment results
- Collate and record assessment information efficiently
- Report progress or achievement efficiently and effectively
- Store evidence and judgements in line with a quality assurance system
Unit 7: Review and Maintaining Standards
- Assist in the development or evaluation of a school assessment policy for their school
- Maintain the assessment policy of their school in a systematic and transparent manner
- Use assessment to establish standards within grades and phases
- Contribute to maintaining standards within their cluster, district and province
3 Days (08:00 – 16:00)
R3500.00 VAT Inclusive
For more information on any of our courses please contact us or complete the quick contact form below.
0860 10 36 35
Quick Contact Form
Complete the form and we’ll get back to you soon. Please ensure that your email address is entered correctly.
Terms and Conditions:
- 50% payment to be made to confirm booking. Balance to be paid during the week of training.
- If you do not attend on the booked date a R1000.00 booking fee will be kept as a penalty charge.
- Cancellations must be made at least 7 days prior to the start of the course or the penalty will apply.
- Please note we do not cater for any special dietary needs.